Wednesday, October 31, 2007

It's been a week...

and it's not so bad but wow it seems way longer than only a week! We've done sooo much. I think October in general was such a busy month. We went apple picking, to the farm, fishing, had a halloween party, to a birthday party! it was just an exhausting month with activities.

A few ocassions Nala has asked, when am I going back to school? I said I thought we were going to try this homeschooling? Once we got started with work I didn't hear anything more about school. Then today she says I don't like homeschooling, I want to go back to school. I know it's hard for her. I'm so glad she has girl scouts but that's only once a week. Lynn, the woman from a homeschooling group who has been providing info to me and such said I need to get out of my comfort zone. I need to venture out of Queens and into the other boroughs. I agree. My excuse has been it's hard travelling on public transportation with young children. The truth is tons of people do it and their children are safe. And I'll mostly have only 2 of my 3 kids with me. Hubby and I decided to just try it with Nala first and when Nina starts kindergarten, she'll come home.

Today was a great day though. We learned about pumpkins. We weighed them and picked them apart. Saw whether or not they would sink or float along with different fruts and vegetables. I was even amazed. Nala loved it and it was good.

Then we sat down and did some worksheets and although she was ok I wasn't really sure she was getting it. Am I a horrible teacher or what? I know she's visual but maybe she learns better with games and play rather than the traditional sit down, although sometimes she seems ok with that too. Maybe it's a matter of focus? I try to even it out, some fun stuff and then the traditional sit down stuff, afterall she did that in regular school and seemed to do fine? I should really look at more creative learning styles.

No comments: