Thursday, November 1, 2007

What do I tell people???

Today was a strange day. As we waited outside for B, the kids and I prepared questions to ask the Firefighers....I saw all of my neighbors, that I am close with. Two set didn't ask me anything about why the 2 oldest ones were home but one made a comment and seemed to wonder but did not ask anything else. Another neighbor is like my grandparent and although didn't ask now, you could see the question in her eyes and she will definitely be asking me soon!

I'm not embarassed about my decision, I'm not unsure...but I don't want to have to explain to everyone I encounter why I'm homeschooling and that's exactly what I'd be doing with at least 2 of my neighbors. I don't care what they think but I just really shouldn't have to explain everything, should I?

2 comments:

Hanley Family said...

Hmm...you could just bring it up before they ask. Just a thought, but sometimes it is less awkward to just start the conversation.

People do ask if you are out running errands and I think my daughter is tired of being asked why she isn't in school, but you get used to it.

You don't have to explain, especially to people you don't know, but the more casual you are in whatever you say, the more casual the people you meet are about it.

Sha Bish said...

Thanks so much for your comments Dana.

It would probably be less awkard if I didn't seem so uncomfortable about it huh?

Today my neighbor was over and said "so the kids are not in school?" and I told her that I was homeschooling them. She didn't ask why, just said ok and that she knew I could do it. It went much easier then I thought it was. I guess I'm just anticipating negative comments and attitudes.